>>> I think his training was icelandic-style, tho, wasn't it?

I was told that his very first under-saddle training was "traditional", and
that it was a failure.  Frankly, I didn't ask for a lot of detail on that
first saddle-training incident - I'd ask for more now.  I just remember that
it wasn't successful and Loftur came back from it more wary than when he
started it, and it sounded like he was plenty wary to begin with.   I gather
that he bolted and was then manhandled. After that, his first American owner
did try to start him over with some groundwork herself, out of desperation,
and somehow stumbled on and taught him the Seven Games.   I think that was a
big boost in getting he and I off to a good start.  He was brought here in a
big trailer from Florida, and the hauler let him off at the end of our long
driveway.  The woman I bought him from hadn't mentioned a word about any
groundwork training he'd had prior to her buying him, so discovering his
Parelli training was a total surprise - but a good one.  When I was walking
him up the driveway, I tilted my head to one side and slightly bent over -
just to have a good look at his feet.  He surprised me by perking up,
turning to face me, and by "giving his hindquarters."  I did a couple of
other "natural horsemanship" type cues - VERY subtly and he responded.
Whoever did the Parelli work with him did a fantastic job with him.  He was
very interested, perky, ears up and forward, and very light - no pressure
over phase 1 needed.  It was such a relief to find something positive that
we could share and something he obviously enjoyed doing.  It gave him a
chance to "be a good boy" without any pain.  I found out later that his
earlier owner had essentially done all of Level 1 groundwork with him, but
of course, I'd realized that by then ...but the bolting kept resurfacing
when she'd try to ride him.  Anyway, at some point he was sold to the woman
I bought him from.  The last owner didn't do any of the groundwork with him,
and she sold him when she found out he'd bolt.  To her credit, she was
honest in her ad, and described him as a "bolter."  I bought him fully
knowing he had issues.

I'll always remember walking him up the driveway that first day.  Ima, Refur
and Miska were just maybe 2-3 weeks old, and they were in one of the
pastures by the driveway with their moms. I could just see Loftur "smiling"
at them playing.  Then, I inadvertently gave him a cue he understood, and
thankfully, I recognized it when he responded.  I had a feeling he was
relieved to be here, that it felt comfortable and familiar to him - the
babies, the horses, even the Parelli "language." I knew after that first
walk up the driveway that he was a quiet, gentle soul, very smart and one
who wanted to do the right thing.  He was my first Icelandic rehab.  I'll
never sell him, and he'll stay here forever if at all possible.  This is his
home.

He did NOT trust men when he came here, and he would get irrationally
panicky if approached by a man in the open field.  He quickly warmed up to
Cary and the farrier inside  the barn, but still remains wary about people
he doesn't know when he's outside in the bigger pasture.  That makes no
sense in a way - most horses are more likely to feel panicky in an enclosed
area...it makes no sense unless the pasture castration trauma story was
true, and he still has memories.  The people who have visited here may have
noticed that I don't generally bring him out to show people that don't know
him.  Maybe I should try to encourage him to trust more people, but since he
likes and trusts us, I haven't really seen any need to push it.

I think the Parelli work was a wonderful thing for Loftur for building his
confidence and trust in humans, but NO training method, however gentle and
solid, was going to eliminate physical pain, and the pain was the root cause
of his behavior.  And from what I was told, it certainly seemed that his
physical pain was present from the time he first arrived in the USA, until
Dr. Daniel went to work on him.  All the clues point back to that pasture
gelding procedure before he came to the USA.

He'd been in the USA about 4-5 years before I got him and he had the full
vet work-up.  Funny, no one had ever thought that he might be hurting.

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.