On 11/20/07, Lorraine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I just returned from the KY Icelandic Horse Show.  I
> > had a nice  conversation
>
> First of all.  I love KY.  You lucky.  That is very
> interesting info.  That makes me wonder if Scooter is
> for sure imported.
>
>  Lorraine

the way to tell if they are imported is to go out in winter and
instead of feeding them grain or hay or anything, just put some dried
herring out on the ice for them and if they wolf it down, they are
imported.  has to be herring, dried, not pickled.  Pickled gives them
bad breath.  Tivar is from california and he will not eat the herring
i put out in his water bucket when it freezes, but he likes nut mix
with dates and sunflower seeds.  nasi is from texas and he does not
like herring but he likes dried beef jerky.  My mccurdys are from
alabama and they like dried pig entrails.  Jaspar is from florida and
hates herring but loves smoked mullet.  Herring and mullet have a lot
of omega three fish oils in them which is good for their skin.  Thats
why icelandic horses in iceland dont have any skin problems, they eat
a lot of fish oils in the herring.  when they come here they develop
skin problems because here its just not within our culture to feed
dried fish to horses in winter when the skin is dry from the wind and
cold and dry winter air.

Sometimes you can buy cod liver oil and smudge it into the skin or put
it in their grain if they will tolerate it.  nasi and Tivar hate cod
liver oil.  But nasi seems to like the way it makes him smell!
Janice--
yipie tie yie yo