> Pamela...may I ask something, and if you don't want to answer,
that's fine.
> Have some people told you that incident was your fault?  The reason
I ask,
> is that of all the years I've been involved with horses, I've NEVER
seen
> such a strong tendency to "blame the owner" or "blame the rider" as
I've
> seen within the "traditional" Icelandic community.  At this point,
I'm not
> really talking to you literally, but for all the other
inexperienced owners
> who have been "blamed and shamed."
> Karen Thomas, NC

Hello Karen,
Actually, I have never been blamed or shamed by anyone by this
incident.  It happened when I was taking Blessi off alone on a trail
ride.  I thought I would tell the tale as an amusing anecdote.  I
hope the readers of this list take the story that way.
Perhaps, I should explain a little more.  When I bought Blessi, the
seller explained that Blessi was trained in the traditional Icelandic
way to respond by going faster with any leg pressure.   I was coached
very carefully to avoid leg pressure unless I wanted speed. It took a
couple months to de-sensitize Blessi to not react to leg pressure.
The water bottle hit Blessi right where my leg would normally go and
it was to be expected at that time that he would react by going
faster.  Plus I started yelling (as you said novice overreaction) and
this made the situation even worse.  This is a good example of how a
novice rider and different training methods (Icelandic versus US) can
lead to some unexpected incidents.

 >I see what you described totally
> differently - that's NOT an "owner stupidity" situation if you ask
me.   We
> were ALL beginner riders at one point, and even when we're past our
> rank-beginner phases, "sh*t happens" sometimes.  Any horse who's
had a
> decent start under saddle should have had a gradual exposure to
things
> flopping about above him, below him, between his legs, whatever.
That's no
> reason for a horse to take off.  A well-trained horse SHOULD expect
an
> occasional klutzy episode from his rider, even if the rider isn't
green.  A
> horse shouldn't just run off when a water bottle flops from the
saddle - not
> unless the horse has HUGE holes in his basic training.
And...beginner
> riders WILL overreact.  That's almost inevitable - no reason to
point
> fingers.  That's not your fault - really, it's not.  And, to be
perfectly
> fair, and I suspect you'll agree, it most likely wasn't Blessi's
fault
> either.  >
The incident was totally not Blessi's fault and his training was very
good except for the not standing still when mounting as I mentioned
in the earlier email.  He really is a very non-reactive horse and
took cats jumping on him, rabbits bolting between his feet, branches
geting stuck in his tail, deer jumping out, etc, quite in his stride.

> Good for you and for Blessi!  It's not easy to have a horse with
holes in
> his basic training.  And it's not easy to be a novice
owner/beginner rider.
> And it's certainly not easy to deal with both disadvantages at
once.  I
> admire your courage for sticking it out.  I'm glad you're on the
list...and
> glad you'll talk about these things!

Actually, I have confused the situation.  My intent was really to try
and show all imported Icelandics are not bolters and I am making a
muddle of the situation.  (As discussed in an earlier email, I fell
off Blessi and got hurt because I took him right out after a week
long stay in the stall, got on him, he moved forward with enthusiasm,
and I fell off.  This created a cycle of fear.)  Blessi had some nice
training except for standing still while mounting and stopping
easily.  As a novice rider, I was able to go on trail rides with
Blessi by myself and deal with rabbits, deer, tractors, ditches,
water crossings, small tree branches stuck in the tail, etc. A trail
bike popped out of the woods before us and he never blinked. He has
never spun on me, bucked, or kicked, etc.   I think in my case it was
a novice rider running into some rough spots due to lack of
experience and riding ability.
As I mentioned earlier, Blessi was trained to increase speed with leg
pressure.  Imagine how confusing it was to him to have a novice rider
ride him with a constant death grip asking for speed and yet the
rider keeps checking him with the reins.  He did an excellent job
ignoring the noise from a beginning rider trying to ride him and take
me safely on the trail.
When I first got Blessi, he responded to the slightest shift in my
weight and changed directions. I almost didn't need the reins. It was
like riding a dream horse.  However as I rode him , I made some
typical beginner mistakes through ignorance--I wanted to go right and
he wanted to go left.  I left him go left thinking why argue about it-
-both ways were pleasant rides.  You more experienced riders can
probably predict what happened.  My dream horse became a little
stubborn and independent.  Luckily before matters got dangerous, I
went to a stable where I could get training and Blessi could get a
refresher.
I am being really open with this, despite all the potentially
embarassing moments, because other beginning riders may learn from my
mistakes. Imported Icelandic horses tend to be trained to go faster
from leg pressure and novice riders may ride with a lot of leg
pressure to keep their balance and keep checking the horse.  Novice
riders may be inconsistent in what they ask of their horses and even
the best trained horses may take advantage. As you said Sh** happens
and I needed to learn to expect and deal with it.  The more I learn
about riding, the more training I get, and the better the
relationship I build with my horse, the more likely that controlable
sh** happens.  As a beginning rider, I would have had worse incidents
with just about any other horse than Blessi. In fact with any other
horse, I probably would have had so many bad experiences I probably
would not be riding right now.  I regret that my previous email
portrayed Blessi as "green" or "untrained."
Regards, Pamela