--- Lorraine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I have never had a horse that had barn sour issues
like this.  I have owned afew.  And still need to
learn alot.<<

I have a lot to learn, too.  That is why I'm getting
the more experienced trainer to get the bulk of her
issues dealt with first.  We were out on the trail the
other day, and Whisper got beligerant, and instead of
becoming intimidated by her, I got mad.  Now, I didn't
hurt her or anything, mind you, but my anger spurred
me on to accomplish my task in a forceful manner
instead of my usual half hearted manner.  But I am at
this point with her, happy to be angry instead of
scared.  Anger (to me) is more easily controlled than
fear.  Small steps in the right direction.  Oh, and
she learned to disengage her hindquarters quickly
instead of in her own sweet time.  However, it didn't
do my TMJ problems any good!

Another thing I found useful this past summer:  I
would work her pretty hard in my yard (5 minutes of
trotting), then walk away and leave the driveway and
stop and rest.  Then come back and as soon as I hit
the driveway, resume trotting for another 5 minutes,
then leave and stop and rest.  If she balked or went
backwards, we didn't rest, we went right back to the
house and resumed trotting, then tried leaving again.
Each time, we walked further and further away before
our rest.  I also rested 5 minutes (look at your
watch!).  Then I started riding with friends again,
and now we have to start all over!  Big thing is don't
give up, and if he intimidates you with his antics
leaving, come back and work him into a sweat at the
house, then leave and rest before he wants to stop.
Bad behavior gets work - HARD WORK!  He will catch on
that it is easier to do what you want than work hard.
Is it punishment?  Well, of course!  He is misbehaving
and deserves punishment (but you know what kind of
punishment I am talking about - work).  We know he is
fine because there are no problems when going out with
a buddy.  But as far as I know, sweat has never caused
a horse to die!  I'm not talking about beating the
horse or anything like that.  Just good, hard, work.
In the end, it will also allow your horse to be
lighter in his aids, because if you are like me, you
do not "work" on the trail.

Susan in NV
  Nevermore Ranch http://users.oasisol.com/nevermore/

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs