> and hundreds of small ones....they move around that 18 acres all day
> and have to come in for water and a few alfalfa cubes in the am and
> pm....it is very wild land. And because there is so much varied
> grasses, vines and legumes they get what they need from
> it...nutritionally, socially, physically and mentally.

Skye, this sounds like a wonderful pasture, I have black Walnut trees
on 2 acres so can not put the horses out there.. so I have to use what
I have to the best of my ability...  we are selling 8.8 acres of Pine
trees... if we could afford everything in life, I would keep that land
and pasture it into more tracks, the grass here is way to rich for
them to live on 24/7 even with the trees, The Track Idea has really
worked for us... and others that have tired it...

Debbie said : The narrow area, kind of moves them through faster... Wider areas
> > are for grazing, socializing, I have a hill in there too... I know
> that they are mentally stimulated this way... I have always spread
> hay out too... but this method of keeping my horses has changed me
> forever...i will never go back to the old way of pasturing horses...
>
>Skye said: If we ever need to put something like that in I would
consider it for
> my horses. Luckily we have a natural one that is already in use!

Didn't you ask me about it and tell me that you have to keep 2 Icy's
in a smaller type drylot??? Or have I confused you with someone
else??? Anyway those were the two I was thinking of when I originally
replied to sorry if it was not you...

> >Debbie said: Jamie Jackson has a book out, Pasture Paradise -
>
> Skye said: Yes, we have seen it. I guess we quit purchasing and downloading
> stuff from Jaime ever since he got on that all horses should and
> could be barefoot in any terrain. Turned us off because we know that
> it is not true.

That is to bad, as I think this is a great concept that can also help
many horse people.. but as I have said to others, to each his own, we
all do the best we can on our journey with horses, there is no reason
to argue...

I have learned so much from the Farrier I grew up with, then from
reading Jamie Jackson's, Pete Ramey, Gene O, Marjorie Smith, Kim
Cassidy, Even Strasser, who I don't trim like, but I have learned a
lot from, in fact, I really don't use any ONE of these people's ideas
in particular, but I have created what works for my herd here, I guess
I have used a bit of a combination of all of them to successfully care
for my herd, which I tweek as needed...

Debbie in SE MN...
--
I and my horses love our track system, take a look~~~
http://picasaweb.google.com/dakota.charm/TrackForHorses