>>how many of you are able to ride barefoot always and who feels they
need to shoe?

Huginn has been BAREFOOT for ONE YEAR NOW!!! YAHOO!!       We have had
NO problems with lameness, ouchiness, and he is gaitinig.  I have only
had to boot Huginn once, and that was in June  when we rode at
Forestville State Park. The trails there are gravel...heavy duty
gravel. The first day, I did not boot Huginn cuz...we were setting up
the mounted orienteering course and were really....just walking.
BTW...I took Dixie on this day and she was also fine...barefoot. She
also recieves a "barefoot" trim ....from my barefoot trimmer.  The
rest of the weekend, I did boot Huginn, cuz I would be "moving out"
and I didn't know how his hooves will do, and I didn't want to take
the risk...at the fast speed that I ride.

But..since then...he has not been booted.

It took me years....years to decide to try barefooting.  Why...because
I ride...hard and long, and I was concerned that I would hurt my
horses by riding in that manner...barefoot.

When Easy Care came out with the Barefoot Boot, I was very interested
in trying this boot. And then...I got lucky...I found a AANHCP trimmer
in my area.

Granted...I feel that I am lucky to have a pony with great hooves!
Actually, both Huginn and Dixie have great hooves. Remember...Dixie
also trail rides, she is ponied off Huginn and her limit is about 5
miles. Them little legs just keep going, she is so darn
cute...trotting down the trail next to Huginn. <;8]

Will I ever go back to shoes...most likely not.  But, should my pony
ever have the "need" for shoes for whatever reason, I would shoe. I'm
not "anit-shoes".  I am totally for doing what is best for my ponies.
And if a horse can not go soundly....barefoot, than by all means shoe
that horse.

Raven
Lucy & Molly, the Girl Doggies
Huginn & Dixie Chick, the Back Behind the Barn Ponies
Maggie Rose, the cat who makes me sneeze

Respect ALL Earthlings. We are all animals of this planet. We are all creatures.