the ability to do it...

Why is it a huge commitment?   If the horses are suitable for barefoot, they
can do it.   If it's THAT hard to transition to, maybe it's not being done
correctly, or maybe the circumstances aren't right for that horse to go
without shoes.

I know plenty of people whose horses mostly go barefoot, but who put shoes
on them for trail riding/show season, or for some other specific, finite
reason.  I know people who pull their horse's shoes for the winter and put
the shoes back when they need them.  That's basically the attitude we had
when we pulled our horse's shoes 17-18 years ago - we knew we weren't going
to be riding hard for a while, so we pulled them, bought EZ boots, and found
we never needed them again.  It was easy.  I never really heard this
attitude about barefoot being a "huge commitment" until the nouveau Barefoot
Nazis hit the scene about 8-10 years ago.  Up until then, barefoot was an
easy choice for some of us, one that didn't have to be all or nothing.  I DO
believe barefoot is better, when it works, and I do believe that more horses
could be barefoot than are.  But when I hear people talk about how hard it
is to transition to barefoot...well, let's just say that I suspect they are
setting me to so they can sell me something.  Sheesh, why did it suddenly
become difficult when a few people started selling books and clinics on the
subject?

Barefoot CAN be easy, and it should be.

Karen
Karen Thomas