--- "Debbie K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > No, if they need protection I put on boa's, very rarely does
> this happen..
> >
> > Thats wonderful for you. However some people need the protection
> > because of their home pasture....you can not wear boas 24-7.
>

> Skye, this is beginning to sound like an arguement... I have no
> intention of being part of an arguement with you..

Not trying to make one...just got went a little too quick on that
email and came across a little short , sorry.

 I  now believe that your comment is the Exception rather
> then the rule...
>
> and if I had that problem, I would be composting every pile of
poop, every wasted morsal of food, every leaf, every blade of grass,
every weed I found to give my horses a safe place to walk and
stand...
kind of the opposite of what I did with all my gravel...

Its just that some owners do not have that as a choice in their life,
or because their horse has flat soles or bad breeding where breeding
for feet did not matter...I could keep going.  And some people do not
want to make the transition and see their horse hobbling around in
pain...yes Dr. Strausser has made quite an impression in the barefoot
world.

I am glad, and happy that more people are coming around to barefoot,
we promote it as Farriers actually.  But not everyone can do it for
many reasons.   And it would be good for the barefoot movement if the
promoters had a little more compassion and a little less judgment for
those of us who do need to put shoes on for protection.

I believe it was Karen who brought up that some breeds do better
barefoot and other breeds do not...of course there are always
exceptions to that.  We find that Arabs and Icelandic are usually a
good bet, better feet...

We have yet to shoe a TB with Good feet...and we shoe quite a few of
them here, and some with what a TB person would call Exceptional
breeding  (Daughters of Kentucky Derby winners, and retired past
winners that are here in their retirement homes)  None of them would
be a candidate, their soles are flat, walls are thin and shelly, they
chip, crack, split...but boy can they gallop!  At a race track they
might get shod 4-5 times per week...insane I know, but that is the
industry, and the industry of breeding many horses that eventually
become trail or dressage horses.

We shoe QH with such small feet, and flat, I wonder what has happened
to that breed where you have this enormous horse on tiny little feet.

Since its our business and we would rather see a barefoot horse..we
really try, and we have learned that not every horse in every
situation can do it......the horses that people keep are not wild and
are not living in a wild situation and a lot of the ones we see
probably could not make it with the feet that they have been breed
with.  Another human error.....

Lets hope Icelandics do not come to the same place............

Skye

   Fire Island Eco-Treks-808-443-6085
   Fire Island Professional Farrier Service-640-6080