at the barn we were at for years, i swear there was more lameness from
pulling shoes from AQHA western pleasure show horses than any walking
horse barn!  I would say it was 100% of the time!  some NEVER got over
it and had to be re-shod.  Its almost like those ancient chinese women
whose feet are bound.  They would have these little teeny tiny feet
held in for years by shoes and then when the shoes were pulled they
would go lame.  I of course dont know why or the bio physical
mechanics of it...  i just saw the results over and over.  and some
horses you wouldnt have a CLUE what they were on, but when they would
go to the new owner and the shoes pulled, put on normal feed and hay
and no supplements they would go into a physiological crash that was
at times spectacular.  I remember one that was a huge bulked up halter
horse, glossy, just gorgeous, had no winter coat, sleek and shiney
from being stalled under lights 24/7...  his name was buddy.  shoes
were pulled and he went lame, couldnt even walk.  Then, a mystery, ALL
his hair fell out in handfuls.  so there was some physical meltdown
going on there.  Then it turns out he was HYPP positive.  Then he
stopped eating and lost about 400 pounds and nearly died.  The woman
had paid 1800 for him at auction and thought she had such a bargain.
I was absolutely horrified when the barn owner told her "take him back
to auction this friday nite and dump him on someone else" and she
did... she got three hundred bucks for him and gave no disclosure of
any of his problems!
Janice--
yipie tie yie yo