I got that lecture with my very first equine vet farm call, before I literally
owned a horse.  I called the vet out to do a pre-purchase on Mac, who was still
in his Big Lick shoes and pads.  The vet asked me what I planned to do with
him, and I told him I wanted to take the pads off and make him a pleasure/trail
horse.   He looked relieved, and told me I was darned lucky that Mac didn't
appear to be lame from the years of "abuse", but warned me that some could
still show up.    (I put it in quotes, because I don't think Mac was ever sored
or beaten, or literally mistreated, but just wearing those shoes/pads and
staying in a stall most of the time was enough abuse for me.)   He then said he
probably wasn't a prime candidate for jumping, endurance, or anything extreme,
since there was no doubt that his joints had had plenty of strain already - but
that he appeared fine for a pleasure horse prospect.  He also told me that we'd
need to take our time in bringing his feet back to normal length and angles, so
that the tendons and ligaments could re-adjust gradually.   I've never had a
problem with pulling any horse's shoes making them sore or tender, but
correcting Mac's angles and balance back to normal took ages.

Mac wasn't quite five when we started taking his feet back to normal.  Sure his
feet were rather extreme, but I know that lesser extremes could have similar
effects, if left for longer periods, or if the horses are ridden harder than
Mac was ridden.   It took over a year to get Mac's feet under control.  About a
year after that, he started letting him be barefoot...and that part was a piece
of cake.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:30 PM