I'm sure that's plausible in a lot of cases, especially in horses that have
really strong feet...and as a rule, I certainly think Icelandic's do.

I'd clarify though, that there are other causes for pain, that shoes can help -
some horses get pain relief from shoes when they have navicular, and my horses
certainly were made more comfortable with shoes as treatment for their
laminitis attacks.  And, both of my horses who had laminitis, were barefoot
before the attacks and returned to barefoot about three months after.
(Sundance has one attack here, likely at least one case before we got him.
Holly had two attacks here, about six months apart.)  But, that gets us back to
the category of "shoeing for therapy", not shoeing for gait.  The most
important thing I see in my own horses' cases was that, be they barefoot, shod
for therapy, whatever, they had a good balanced trim in place at all times
before, during and after the laminitis.  The only one of my horses who was ever
trimmed/shod for gait, was Mac, and he had a long transition to more
reasonable, normal hoof angles.

Karen Thomas
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.