> set him up on the highline with some hay and then set up the tent.
>
> The worst night I ever spent  not sleeping was one night when my tent was
> set up quite close to my daughter's horse.  He's an old hand and was not
> afraid of the tent, but he laid down and snored and groaned and generally
> "breathed" all night.  I lay there wondering if he always sounded like
> that
> or he was in the throes of something fatal.
>
> Nancy

Imagine - Quiet night in the Sierra, tired after a long day in the saddle,
finally turn in, pony tied to the trailer....zzzzzzzzz.......pony runs out
of hay about 3am.  Is STARVING!  So pony takes her daity little foot and
BANGS on the side of the trailer and on the wheel well.  I didn't get up at
first as I did not want to reward bad behavior (or get up in the cold, dark
middle of the night).  You can guess who won.  <sigh>

Imagine...Quiet night at Point Reyes, tired after a long day in the saddle,
finally turn in, pony tied to the trailer, LOTS of hay in the hay bag, water
bucket hanging from a strap so pony can't dump it ....zzzzzzzzz......  BANG!
BANG!, BANG! (etc) as pony is STARVING to death at 4 am. I didn't get up at
first as I did not want to reward bad behavior (or get up in the cold, dark
middle of the night).  You can guess who won.  <sigh>  Get up the next
morning, standing in line for breakfast, overhear friends wondering "what
was that banging last night?".  "Did you hear that banging last night?"
Think about how intelligent a pony is who would grab the water bucket, pull
it away from the trailer and then let it go.  Nice satifying "BANG".  Bound
to bring the servant and the food.

Unhook the trailer, drive down to the local tack store and buy a high line.
HAR!  ... the advantages of opposable thumbs.

Penny