> > This is a good test.  I practiced using a highline before my first
Are there other things you might suggest that
> Blessi and I get used to before we go camping?  Nancy has already
> mentioned the snoring.

I haven't been able to rest much when I go camping.  The horses are
loud - chewing, snoring, etc. and I am a light sleeper anyway.
However, I also am sleeping in a tent.  Others I camp with have a bed
in their trailers and I think they sleep better.  One thing I do to
reduce anxiety is have the door of the tent positioned so I can look
out and see the horses if I wake up to a strange noise.  I listen for
rhythymic munching of hay and go back to sleep.  My friends set up a
portable corral and put lanterns up on t-posts so there is a little bit
of light to see the horses at night.

Other than the standard camping items, I discovered I needed a
different pair of shoes for the morning than my riding shoes because
the dew in MI is plentiful on cool summer mornings.  Baby wipes are
great for quick handwashing.  Five gallon buckets with lids work okay
for transporting horse water to a campsite, but are kind of heavy for
me.

Try to camp with someone who has horse camping experience the first
time you go.  I called someone I didn't know well but who I knew did a
lot of horse camping.  Now I have made some great friends.

Have fun!

-Kristen in MI