On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 05:48:15 -0800, you wrote:

>One rein stop!!!!
>

>She would have to learn how to use it.  When she tried to turn him, his head
>>and mouth came  way around to her in the direction of the hand she was using
>>but his body just kept going with the opposite shoulder leading

If she had dropped one rein and just kept the pressure on the "turning
rein" so he had no choice but to turn a very tight circle, he would
have stopped eventually (though it's better if he is taught it
properly, from the ground up, before she needs to use it).

It's a very, very useful thing to know though. I think it's something
that everyone should know (and their horses) before "going solo" in a
wide open space. It's a great confidence-giver for beginners, and can
be a life-saver - what if the route home had gone across a busy main
road or over a cliff ; ) or something?

I look on it as similar to teaching my dogs to drop like a stone when
I say "down" (as opposed to "lie down" which is more relaxed) - it's
not often you really need it, but when you do, it's a vey useful tool
to have in your toolbox.

>feel sorry for them both.  The horse looks "pissy" and bored some of the
>time and he looks like he takes control because he assumes he is the smarter

I would get this pair doing lots of ground work and developing their
relationship before riding out on the trail.

Mic

Mic (Michelle) Rushen

Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs:
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
"Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"