If there is any group of people who are dedicated to
finding proper fitting saddles for their horses, it is
Endurance people.  They are always looking for good
fit.  What fits for 5 or 6 miles, isn't going to cut
the mustard after 50 or even 100 miles, so if you want
comfort in saddles or rider wear, that is the place to
go!

I went to the AERC Convention in Reno with 3D cutouts
of the backs of three different horses:  Whisper, Andi
and Tosca.  What I found in treed saddles was truely
amazing and quite eye opening. Treeless saddles for
distance are not working out for most people.  Seems
people have found, like me, that unless you are a
featherweight rider, they don't do well over the 10
mile range.  I had even noticed on the underside of my
Skito pad increased dirt marks on both sides near the
front of my pad.  What I have been told is that this
corresponds to where the girth attaches to the saddle,
so when I tighten the girth, it causes a pressure
point there.  Hmmmm, maybe that is why my mare gives
me an ugly face back to my leg at the beginning of a
ride, and then it goes away as the pad(s) squash down
and the girth loosens into the ride???  Anyway, while
my treeless is going to stay here and be used for
short rides (those under 8 miles) I knew I needed
something with a tree to give more support over the
longer miles.

The newest innovation in treed saddles are flexible,
hard plastic. Well, maybe not new, but widespread
enough now that there are lots of options and brands
to choose from.  Not flexable as in discs, or "broken"
up trees, but hard, flexible plastic surrounded by
different types of foam to create a truely flexible
saddle that will fit many horses.  And in the majority
of cases, these are shorter saddles, and the way they
flex, they will not bridge once in the saddle, and
this also alleviates the possibility of loin rubs if
the saddle is a mite too long.

I had 3 of the widest, roundest backs there, and I
found many saddles that would be a good fit (and in
fact, the same saddle would have fit all three horses
in my bag!).

I need to download some pics and videos I took, so I
will save the specific reports on the individual
saddles for later.  My brother borrowed my cord that
downloads my pics from the camera to the computer, so
I have to run over and get it back from him.

More later...

Susan in NV
  http://desertduty.blogspot.com/
  Riding for Breast Cancer Awareness