On Mar 26, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Judy Ryder wrote:

>>> There is no collection in tolt.  The frame of the
>>> horse in tolt is
>>> diametrically opposed to collection.
>>>
>>> It just doesn't happen.
>>
>> That is good to know.  With my MFT it helped the
>> foxtrot to collect him.
>
> I think we're using the wrong word in this case.  I think "contain" is
> better word.
>
> Gaited horse trainers incorrectly use the word "collect", but they mean
> "gather up" the horse for the frame that is necessary for the gait.
>
> They are speaking from a position of *riding the horse's face*,
> pulling the
> head and neck to make a change in that area, not collection which
> starts
> from the hindquarters.
>
> Collection is not present in the easy gaits.  Collection has an upward
> vector, and the easy gaits have an earth-bound vector... opposite, and
> that's what makes them "easy" gaits :-).  If we collect them, they'll
> be
> trotting!

I disagree.  I have had the experience of taking a riding clinic with a
classically trained Peruvian trainer, German Baca
(http://www.chperuvians.com/CHP-GBaca.html).  My mare wasn't gaiting
well -- "strung out" and doing what I gather is called a piggy pace --
and German gave me a few simple instructions:  pull my elbows in (I
looked like I was in City Slickers <g>), sit up straighter, rotate my
pelvis forward.  And I could feel Rosa's back lift slightly under me as
she rotated *her* pelvis and brought her back legs underneath to do a
perfect paso llano (rack).  All of this was on a loose rein with her
neck in a relaxed arch.  My gelding Sinchi was harder to collect -- it
took a lot of thigh squeezing in his case -- but only when he was
collected would he do a paso llano -- otherwise he did an entrepaso (an
unsuspended broken pace).  He also worked on a loose rein (one should
never ride the face!).  Neither horse (nor any of my horses) offered
the trot under saddle -- and in the show ring the surest way to get a
poorly gaited horse to pasitrote (and get the gate <g>) is to let it
get strung out and ventroflexed.

Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/