>>> Plus, I didn't think you could do true collection in speed?

There is an old and true saying in serious dressage circles: "Speed is the
enemy of collection."  So, yep, Susan, you're right on the mark.

I get the feeling that some people have made the incorrect progression that
"collection is good, our horses are good, therefore our good horses must be
collected."   There are lots of things in this world that are "good", that I
don't want to have in large quantities in my everyday life.  I really don't
WANT a collected trail horse -  not in any dressage sense that is.  To me,
this is just another example of where moderation is a good thing.  I don't
want my horses star-gazing and ewe-necked, but I don't have any need for
passage or piaffe or levade either!   There's a lot of "good" that can
happen in the middle of these extremes, and that's where I'm happiest!