--- In IceHorses@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have never, ever seen any evidence of classical dressage in any
> interpretation being done in Iceland......

Well Karen, that may be because you haven't looked. Allow me to make
it easy: here is one of many links you will find if you do a quick
search; http://www.klassisch-reiten.at/t1_islandpferde_sar_en.html
This one is well-written and very interesting. Get a cup of tea or
whatever and give it a fair read.

Classical training does include the beginning levels of dressage. I
did NOT say anyone was trying to seriously use an Icelandic for
competitive dressage. Personally, I have an Andalusian I do dressage
with. She's perfect for it. My Icelandic needed to build his muscles
properly to straighten him and develop his body in a way he can do
what Icelandic horses are bred to do easily. I don't think anyone is
doing this sort of training on Icelandics with competition in mind,
rather it is done as part of foundation training.

FYI, this sort of foundation training works with ANY horse. Once they
have their bodies straight, their balance useful and they are properly
developed they can use it for tolting all day, western specialties,
jumping or even dressage.

The reason to do this form of training is all for the horse. It has
made equally huge differences in my formerly heavy-footed Friesian and
my Icelandic. It is physical therapy for horses. Most importantly, it
works. One caveat: it only works if you are a balanced rider yourself.
You don't have to be a great rider but a balanced seat is always best
for the horse.

Gail