>>> I used to keep fish in the water tanks.  Then I got to thinking... is it
>>> better for horses to consumer algae or fish pee and poop?  I don't know
>>> the  answer to that, so I haven't had fish for a few years.

That choice is probably an even (or approximately) trade-off, although if
it's truly in equilibrium, the algae should use the fish poop, and the fish
should eat the algae.  However, if the fish really help keep down
mosquitoes, then there's a vote for fish.   I see a few mosquitoes around
our goldfish pond, however, so I'm not sure how much they really help
mosquitoes.

Also, be careful that your horses don't "gargle" in the water tubs after you
worm them.   Per my farrier, apparently wormers don't do much for the
longevity of goldfish... :(