We have both, actually two of what you call "farm ponds" plus the goldfish
pond, and we
use the same rules - we want the most natural, stable ecosystems with the least
work.  In
fact, when you try to set up a successful small pond, you try to simulate the
conditions
of a large pond.  You virtually have to have some circulation for a smaller
pond to
thrive - you simply don't have the same amount of surface area for oxygen
transfer as you
do in a larger pond.

Our goldfish pond has a synthetic rubber liner...or at least it did to begin
with.  It has
a more natural-type floor now on top of the liner, a sort of "soil" from years
of
existance.  We purposely haven't tampered with that debris (other than trying
to keep out
the bulk of the fall leaves) since we wanted it to become as natural as
possible.  I think
that's why this goldfish pond has been so succesful - we don't maintain it to
death,
thanks to Cary's research and good planning.

I think the bigger deal is whether Virginia might want to use the pond for
fishing or for
natural beauty.  I think all ponds are pretty, but some fish are definitely
more
palatable, and beautiful water plants can snag your fishing lines.  Either kind
can be set
up for minimal maintenance though.  It just takes planning - and some restraint
about
feeding the fish!