But,
>  we didn't include the ponds in our fenced area, because there have been
> muskrats around
>  them for a long time - my grandpa built these two ponds in the 1920's, using
> mules and
>  scoop pans, so who knows when the muskrats started building their tunnels. T

Wow muskrats how nice. On my birthday in August a couple of years ago,
I noticed from the window that the pond had splashing in it. A family
of river otters had come up from the creek and were having a ball.
They played for hours and then were gone. There were 4 or 5 of them,
they swam and dove so fast we were never sure of how many. There is a
raft for the turtles in the middle and some would sun on that.

By the way, we do have our creek fenced off from livestock. It is
pretty easy to get grants around here to fund the fencing. We have
wildlife friendly fencing so some can go under and some over, it works
well. We see coyotes, foxes, bobcats, rabbits, skunks, and other
critters regularly. Heard a mountain lion nearby and the hairs on my
arms stood on high. found out it had killed a sheep next door.

This year the pond will be dry by June maybe, we little rain since
February. My hay guy said he will have no hay this summer and will
just let the cows out to graze the 6 inch high hayfield. Hope I can
find something.

Ann