I've worked with maybe, really 10 horses and mules in the last couple
weeks. My friend has just adopted 4 mules, 2 very shy, two still can't
be touched since they arrived. I haven't had time to work on it. Also
another adopted rescue horse, who has some issues, and my own 5.

What are we talking about when we say "pressure"? Actual physical
pressure, energy "pressure"? I think most physical pressure is too
much to begin with. I am finding that horses, even ones I don't know,
understand it much better when I invite them to do something. Ask them
with hand movements to move their heads towards me, or move their
hindquarters away, not even touching them. We have to give them a
chance, they are naturally so light, I mean I am really seeing this. I
am really seeing how putting physical pressure on them really makes
them tense and more difficult to maneuver around after that. For
instance, if you grab a horse's leg to ask them to pick it up, try to
wrangle it up, it's just making the horse that way. If I just lightly
touch them, not grab, they naturally tend to pick it up, maybe not to
the extent I want at first, but they try.

Gotta go to bed.

Kim