Our adult daughter returned to riding about three years ago after not having
ridden since childhood.  She's an excellent elementary school teacher and a
rather passive and thoughtful rider.  The second  horse she bought had a
reputation, at age 14, of being a terrific endurance horse (Tevis cup ride),
having been laid up for two years with two consecutive pasture injuries, and
being hard to catch and bucking the first time you got on him - every ride

He became easy to catch and never bucked once from the first time she rode
him.

After Smoke got hurt again (another story), she bought a Seattle Slew
grandaughter.  This is a very athletic volatile mare.  We have been there
when she ran backward off an embankment, threw herself over backward when
being ridden, knocked her owner silly when trying to get a syringe in her
mouth.  I did try to suggest this was not the horse she should be buying.
Abby  has ridden her for about six months.  She hasn't done  one dangerous
thing.  She drops her head and takes her electrolytes in  happy  little
sips, and she stands around with a goofy contented  look on her face.

We say these two horses have responded to  essential Abbyness - a sort of
fairness and consistancy applied with very little pressure, either
emotionally or phsysically.

Nancy