> Yes, but the topic here was breed standards, not the exceptions to
the
> breed.  I have an Arab who did remarkably well in hunters when
there was a
> strong prejudice against the breed in that sport.  We also have a
> supposed-to-be western pleasure App that couldn't jog if his life
depended
> on it...but he made a nice low-mid level dressage horse, and was
also a
> pretty decent hunter.  There are always exceptions, and as I said
before, I
> don't think too many people buy warmbloods to be pleasure horses.

Maybe not in US, but you know, here in Europe, Warmbloods are the
domestic breed. So for a long time, these were the horses all riders
used. Only in the last 10-20 years alternatives like QH (for the
western riders), PRE (for the classic riders) or Icelandic (those a
little bit longer, 30-40 years) showed up. And if you look at the
numbers of Warmbloods bred, they can't all be in sport ;-). The
riders usually not only go out on trail with them, but doing
dressage exercises or jumping a little bit, is good for every horse.

The health issue you mentioned might be the simple problem of using
them too early, too hard. Although the evaluation itself does not
include riding, the stallions have to absolve a Fieldtest, with
dressage, jumping and corsscountry.

In addition, the auctions for the young horses put a lot of stress
on them too. They have to perform 3 years old, as being fully
educated. So this means they are started quite early. So if they
don't get a rest after this stressy time, some of them develop
health issues already quite young.

Jasmin