>>> I've seen some evaluations for some of the European Warmbloods that are
>>> done at liberty, so no interference from handling!  Granted, a lot of
>>> gaited horses don't trot at liberty, but basic conformation can be
>>> gleaned from that

The no-rider interference is key to me too, Susan.   Thanks for bringing up
that warmbloods also often have them.  I guess I knew that many warmbloods
have them - but until this morning I didn't know that the Fjords do.

Let's think about it for a minute though. Most warmbloods are used for
"sport horses" - jumpers or dressage.  I believe the purpose of most of
their "evaluations" is to show their suitablity as sport horses.  I can't
think of anyone who purposely went out and bought a warmblood to be a
pleasure horse, and I don't think they are prime candidates for CTR or
endurance, and I've never heard of a warmblood cutting horse class. :)  In
fact, I know people who are afraid to ride their warmbloods out on the
trail!  When you think about it, the variety of typical uses for warmbloods
are pretty narrow.   I don't believe that many warmblood breeds proclaim
themselves to be "versatilty" horses or trail horses.  That's fine, and it's
certainly not meant as a criticism in any way at all.  If I were going to
aim for a high level of dressage, I'd probably look at buying a warm blood.
But, I'm not. So, is it really easy or even feasible to try to have an
all-emcompassing standard for pleasure/trail horses...?  Maybe the
warmblood-type evaluations are appropriate and meaningful for those horses -
but would they be equally relevant for us?

And I don't suppose there's any way to find any hard and fast statistics on
this, but my observations lead me to believe that warmbloods have a very
high incidence of some pretty odd and debilitating health problems and
lamenesses.  (Don't ask me to back this statement up, because I can't. Maybe
I've just known an usually high percentage of lame/ill warmbloods.)  I'm not
interested in Olympic-level performance for the short-haul, only to have my
dear buddy become lame or die in his prime.