>>> I take my horses hiking alone from a very young age.  They are often
>>> have a short comfort zone distance at first, so we gradually get farther
>>> and farther away and I try to go just a short distance outside the
>>> comfort zone each time as the distance they're willing to go increases.

We like to do that too - for some reason, Cary gets a particular kick out of
doing that, and that's great.  It's just another way of breaking it down
into pieces for them.

>>> In the arena, we followed a cart and then let her lead the cart. I lead
>>> her about a mile 1/2 up to a mansion that's a tourist attraction, so she
>>> could see the people, strollers, horse-drawn cart, etc. and then rode
>>> her back.  We meet other horses but she didn't worry too much about
>>> wanting to follow, because we'd done so much work alone.

That's such a pretty place to ride...and usually so COOL.  I'm jealous.  It
sounds like fun, and sounds like she did great.

We've been out rearranging the round pen panels and making some adjustments
to the stalls today, in preparation for Vinnie and Bart's arrival.  I'm
looking forward to them coming, but it's pretty hot out for this kind of
work.  I'd much rather been out riding, especially at Moses Cone...

Karen Thomas, NC

------------------------------------

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses