> On 10 Nov 2022, at 13:24, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [offlist]
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 1:21 PM Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com
> <mailto:la...@wordtothewise.com>> wrote:
>
>> On 10 Nov 2022, at 13:17, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:superu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 12:54 PM Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com
>> <mailto:la...@wordtothewise.com>> wrote:
>> In many cases, the reason the mail isn’t going out through the signing
>> domain is because the signing domain’s anti-spam heuristics are good enough
>> that the sender couldn’t maintain an account there long enough to send out
>> any volume of email. That’s why the domain has a good reputation - because
>> they block spam off their network. This is a way to steal the good
>> reputation from the good ESP.
>>
>> Interesting.  Almost seems like "SPF against the signing domain" could be a
>> win, except for all the usual forwarding concerns.
>
> I think a lot of it is being blocked and the receiving orgs are aware it’s
> happening and the replays are not contributing that much to the actual
> reputation of the originating domain. Certainly, what I’m hearing from the
> folks who are being used as the signer for the replay is they’re not seeing a
> whole lot of impact on delivery and reputation.
>
> Am I reading this right, i.e., you think this is mostly a non-issue because
> it's easy to spot and filter?

I think it’s not an issue for deliverability for the forged domain. (Remember:
my opinions are filtered through the deliverability lens). I also think that
the practical solutions applied by the big filters (using the tuple of SPF
domain, DKIM domain and  5322.from domain as the identity for the message;
noting normal patterns of delivery for a particular d=; enforcing RFC
compliance on the incoming mail) are outpacing any changes to the standard that
we might have. I don’t know if they have an appetite to implement a new or
extended standard that is supposed to fix a problem that they have already
(mostly) solved.

I think there is space to have the discussion - is this something that needs a
standard change / update? Are there other things we want to address? But I’m
also thinking we need to engage with the mailbox providers to get their
viewpoints on it.

laura

--
The Delivery Experts