I agree that we don't want too much detail in the charter about the technical
nature of the problem, but I would like to understand it in more detail in
order to better assess the appropriateness of what is there.

If a domain is signing spam and their reputation suffers as a result, isn't
that the system working as designed?

I would like to understand what is the technical characteristic of these
messages that is distinct from the non-bad ones.  As far as I can tell (and
this isn't the first time I've run across these discussions), there isn't  one.

If that's the case, then I don't think there's an actual technical solution to
this problem.

Once work is chartered in the IETF, it tends to get a certain momentum toward
producing a result.  Before agreeing that we have a charter to solve a
problem, I'd like to understand we have a problem that can be solved, even
though that requires a bit of discussion at a more detailed level than what
eventually goes in the charter.

Leaving aside algorithms and processes for a moment, could someone describe
how an technically proficient human would examine one of these messages and
determine they are "bad"?

I'll think about what else needs to be there from a compatibility perspective.
I need to re-read the drafts and think about it first.

Scott K