> On 10 Nov 2022, at 13:17, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2022 at 12:54 PM Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com
> <mailto:la...@wordtothewise.com>> wrote:
> In many cases, the reason the mail isn’t going out through the signing domain
> is because the signing domain’s anti-spam heuristics are good enough that the
> sender couldn’t maintain an account there long enough to send out any volume
> of email. That’s why the domain has a good reputation - because they block
> spam off their network. This is a way to steal the good reputation from the
> good ESP.
>
> Interesting.  Almost seems like "SPF against the signing domain" could be a
> win, except for all the usual forwarding concerns.
>
> 2) The messages often have two different To: lines
>
> This violates RFC 5322, so it would be easy to filter these out, except that
> we would need to know how common and tolerated this is today among legitimate
> messages.

The other (more common?) case is that the original recipient is in the signed
822.To, while the new recipient is not in the To: or Cc: headers at all. While
that’s just the same as old-school alias forwarding, and you might not be able
to spot that on any given single email I’d bet that it’s easy to spot and block
at a mailbox provider of any size.

A heuristic I’ve suggested previously is “If the recipient’s email address is
not in the To: or Cc: header then treat the mail as unsigned”.

Cheers,
  Steve