On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 8:36 AM Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 11/25/2022 2:26 AM, Laura Atkins wrote:
> > What’s stopping large providers from removing DKIM now if they wanted to?
>
> Nothing at all.  That they can choose to, if they wish, is one of the
> appealing aspects to this.  It permits unilateral adoption.

Recapping what I believe I saw in the above thread- the idea is to strip
the DKIM header in the message view seen from the inbox.  This is an
interesting idea, but as pointed out elsewhere, it's pretty easy for the
spammers to bypass, as they simply need an MX they control.  Alternatively
any mailbox provider with access to the message w/o stripping the DKIM
header.

> > Or have they actually made the choice to keep the signatures in?
>
> No idea.  And yes, it would be good to ask them.  I wonder what venue
> there might be to float such a question...?
>
> (time-passing jingle plays...)  Venue found.  So now let's see how they
> respond...

As one of the instigators of the DKIM replay WG proposal at Dispatch,
apologies for the delay.  For the last several years, we've noticed an
uptick in spam attacks around this time of year, and this year is no
different.  Last year the spammers were exploiting DKIM replay.  This year,
they are exploiting the SPF's vulnerability to multi-tenancy to obscure
spam traffic though a vulnerable forwarder.  Things had to calm down a bit,
before getting back to this thread.  In any case I also bring up the SPF
issue to point out there are other authentication challenges, and to be
mindful of supporting mitigating them as well.  (My intuition keeps coming
back to the idea that can make progress here if we could distinguish these
different traffic flows)

-Wei