On Sat, Dec 3, 2022 at 12:20 PM Jon Callas <j...@callas.org> wrote:

> > On Dec 3, 2022, at 11:42, Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/3/2022 11:35 AM, Jon Callas wrote:
> >> Agreed, and we need some other weasel word than "lightweight" because
> there are lots of people working on "lightweight" symmetric ciphers.
> Something like "appropriate"?
> >>
> >> Y'all know this is one of the many bees in my bonnet -- DKIM doesn't
> need a signature that is secure for a year (or more), it needs one that is
> secure for somewhere between a minute and a week.
> >
> > transit-time, cryptographic authentication ?
>
> I like that.

I've edited in this change, minus "transit-time".  I acknowledge that this
is what Jon and Dave are saying was the intent all along, and I'm not
arguing the point, but RFC 4686 -- which presumably recorded what was our
consensus at the time, and which RFC 6376 references as foundational
material -- disagrees, holding out an additional possibility that no DKIM
document since then has dispelled.  I don't think we should ignore this
conflict; I think it's important to resolve and record that resolution, and
this revised perspective can be part of the document(s) this working group
produces.

-MSK