On 12/7/22 4:26 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

Fair enough.  Does the charter need to say that a revision to best practices, relative to the replay problem, might be a possible output?  It's within the realm of possibility that no protocol work comes out of this, but a "checkpoint" about current realities might be good to publish in that case.

This is why I'm extremely skeptical anything useful will come of this. We're putting the burden on the receiver to solve a sender's problem. That is the recipe for failure because what is the receiver's motivation to fund somebody else's problem? DKIM at least has the right incentives which is that senders have motivation for better delivery and receivers get utility in their fights against spam, etc. Regardless of solution, any solution to this has neither of those properties.

The actual solution is for the sender to not send spam.

Mike