> On 9 Aug 2023, at 15:55, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 2:54 AM Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com
> <mailto:la...@wordtothewise.com>> wrote:
>> If there are multiple BCCs that implies that whatever is creating the mail
>> must make individual copies of the message with only the BCC recipient in
>> that line before it’s signed with DKIM. So for a message with 3 BCCs, there
>> are 4 separate copies of the message to be created, one with no BCC header
>> and 3 for each of the BCC recipients. Then each message must be individually
>> signed.
>>
>> I’m not sure how that’s going to work in practice.
>
> I have heard, but have not verified, that some MLMs do this
> one-recipient-per-copy thing already, despite RFC 5321 encouraging the
> opposite.  If true, I don't know whether this was done to allow per-instance
> signing or because it allows for better tracking and association of bounces,
> or for some other reason.  It occurs to me that unless the Date field changes
> for each instance, the DKIM signature would be the same for each instance
> anyway.

The one per copy is mostly VERP
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_envelope_return_path) related but the
signatures should be the same for every message. When we’re signing a field
that changes per message, that’s a different situation.

> However, if it is already the case that MLMs generally produce a copy per
> recipient, then any Bcc scheme would work, and much of the fragility with the
> "include the recipient in the signature" approach vanishes.

I wasn’t actually thinking about MLMs. I was more thinking about the “normal”
case of one-to-few emails. BCC is widely recommended and used in situations
where there’s intimate partner abuse as a way to document interactions with the
abusive partner. That was, honestly, the situation I was envisioning. What
happens if the abusive partner discovers the BCC address because there’s a
problem with the code that’s managing the signing?

It’s probably much easier to cope with in terms of the MLM code base than the
non-bulk code base. But that still brings up the challenges of what
recommendations do we make for messages that don’t have a BCC header field? Or
can we just recommend that the MLMs and bulk sender software sign a blank BCC
field?

laura (participating)

--
The Delivery Expert