Jim, in your presentation to the ESPC you brought up the fact that one
reason to encourage sub-domains to publish 'unknown' ADSP records was so
that they wouldn't inadvertently inherit an ADSP record from a parent
domain.

As long as such inheritance is possible, i.e. that a subdomain can
automatically inherit from a parent domain, it must be true that we're
discussing subtrees.

If we retain that capability, inadvertent or not, in the spec, I think
we need to call it out explicitly and discuss how to counter it.

However, I agree with Dave that it may be cleaner to just exclude the
possibility of inheritance rather than try to deal with the fallout.

> > 1.  The DNS was not designed with sub-tree operators.  The wildcard
> mechanism is
> > a very narrowly-defined capability and is useless in the face of
> > underscore-based naming, since the underscore node really defines an
> attribute
> > of the domain name it is under, rather than defining a true "name".
> >
> >      What this leaves us with is attempting to invent mechanisms
that
> turn out
> > to do only a partial job, at best.
> >

> Underscore-based names have no special standing within DNS (such as
> definition of attributes), other than the fact that they are illegal
as
> hostnames but are legal for some other purposes.
>
> DNS wildcards are indeed useless in the face of name prefixes, which
is
> why ADSP does not depend on nor use them.  The mechanism described in
> the draft may be viewed as doing a "partial job" but we still need to
> consider whether what it does is useful.  I believe it is.
> >
> > 2.  Some of the sub-tree effort is for administrative convenience.
Some