On 7/29/10 6:46 PM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>  On 29/Jul/10 14:46, Douglas Otis wrote:
> >> The TPA-Label approach does _not_ depend upon changes made by
> >> the mailing-list!  The TPA-Label limits change to code already
> >> handling ADSP records, and of course to domains making ADSP
> >> assertions.  There is only a small number of domains making
> >> actionable ADSP assertions.  The TPA-Label would allow Author
> >> Domains a means to assert explicit exceptions when processing
> >> their restrictive ADSP assertions.
 >
>  I agree that TPA-Label would make it more practical to use policies
>  other than "unknown".  However, I have the feeling that it is more
>  useful for small domains that want to use external services, than for
>   mailing lists.  For a large domain whose users are free to subscribe
>   to any list, I see two major concerns:
>
>  1. There is no standard way for the domain to learn when any of its
>  users subscribe to a new list.  In practice, users would have to
>  check whether the relevant TPA already exists, and possibly apply for
>  it internally, before subscribing.

Disagree. Likely most of the domains being heavily phished are already
required to careful monitor outbound traffic. If the industry were to
compile a list of informal third-party service domains, along with their
recommended TPA-Label assertions, any outbound traffic could quickly
confirm whether authorization had been granted, and use the compiled
list to automatically generate the authorization, or simply point their
"_tpa" list to such an industry list already being published, or
immediately reject the message and inform the user they need to find a
different alternative.

Any recommendation that suggests a targeted and recognized domain should
start using other domains or subdomains to conduct public exchanges
simply creates new avenues for phishing and will cause greater recipient
confusion.  In other words, a very bad practice.

>  2. Granting a TPA implies a good degree of trust.  I don't think
>  /any/ mailing list would obtain a TPA from, say, PayPal; the sites
>  who would could then be trusted "by proxy" by anyone who takes
>  PayPal's assessments for good...

Most mailing lists would be safe for a domain in their position to
authorize.  Most who subscribe already sort these messages.  The
TPA-Label can even ensure whether a message came from the authorized
list.  Any mailing list that confirms subscriptions, and adds  typical
annotations should be safe to authorize.  Of course, things like A-R
headers would be better.

-Doug