Steve Atkins wrote:
> Do we have any thoughts on 1. how often keys might sensibly be
> rotated and 2. how long public keys should remain visible after the
> private key has been rotated out?

The WG discussed this around 2006.  The DKIM-RCVD I-D I wrote
summarizes the "timing issues" from the discussions and also offered a
way to help resolve this issue:

       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-santos-dkim-rcvd-00

There are three basic timing points:

     T1 - delivery time
     T2 - MFA (Mail Filtering Agent) process time
     T3 - MUA process/read/view time

T1 is 7 days based on DKIM recommendations and adequately covers the
SMTP recommendations of 4-5 retry days.  So at a minimum the key
retention time should be 7 days.

But there is a T2 gap time when the MFA gets it.  This time will
mostly likely pretty short. And there is a T3 gap between MFA and by
the time the MUA gets it.  Who knows what T3 is, but it could be
pretty long, i.e. a user goes on vacation or simply reads his mail
once per day or whatever.  So T3 is help consider possible MUAs with
DKIM verification plug-ins.

Since T3 can be low to high time significant, the I-D proposed a
method whereby the middle ware (DKIM verifier or not) will create/add
a DKIM-Received with your public key information.  This way by the
time it is actually needed by a verifier, it will have the old public
key information in DKIM-Received.

I also suggested that this DKIM-Received header can be used a
migration idea for those systems not yet ready to sign or verify but
can get the information and store in the header in case there will be
a long time-shifted verification period that exceeds the domains key
expiration.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com