On 10/14/2010 07:58 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> Perhaps surprisingly, having redundant header fields does not make
>> DKIM break.
>
> We must have some vastly different definition of "break".
>
> If allowing through modified messages that render very differently isn't
> broken, shouldn't we remove the advice against signing with l=0? The
> advice in favor of signing Subject: and To: fields? None of those has
> any technical effect on the ability of a verifier to compute and compare
> hashes.

There is an enormous difference between the situations with DKIM and,
say, TLS+X509. With TLS, you take the output of the checks and use
THAT ALONE to decide to deliver the bits or not. DKIM has *never*
been such a protocol: there is a vast backstop of security infrastructure
where DKIM is a just helper.

Like I said, give spam/phishing filter writers some credit. They
are not idiots.

Mike