On May 8, 2011, at 11:16 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

> [...]

Agreed, that seems to be the best currently-deployed practice.

>>> Do you have some specific text you want to propose here?  I couldn't
>>> imagine any based on this comment.
>>
>> Yes it is hard, because we don't want to endorse any product/service. Let
>> me try.
>>
>> "Some MTA senders and receivers can enter in bilateral agreements or via a
>> third party to receive out of band reports on failed signatures."
>
> That's true, but is it advice specific to the MLM environment?  And is 5.2
> the right place to talk about this?

It'd fit nicely into a separate BCP on handling signature failures -- perhaps
after there's more widespread operational experience with
draft-ietf-dkim-reporting?

>>> Is this inbound or outbound?  I assume inbound given the title of the
>>> section.  But again I couldn't concoct text in my head to match your
>>> remark.  Can you propose some?
>>
>> I thinking outbound. As this document is to give postmasters a quick
>> start, then it is good to mention if you choose ADSP, there is "no way"
>> the message can go via a mailing list and survive. I thought it was
>> possible before reading this RFC that you could tweak a MLM in a manner
>> that ADSP would not break, but I realize while possible it is absolutely
>> impractical and as you say a cooperating MLM better drop the message out
>> front.
>>
>> What I'm worried is that it does not set a mindset with other email
>> policies that can be created.
>
> I think it's safer to let the MLM operator decide, since that person knows
> whether or not the list software will tend to break signatures on messages it
> re-sends.

Or if they don't know, this will encourage them to find out.

--
J.D. Falk
the leading purveyor of industry counter-rhetoric solutions