On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 21:51:49 +0100, Hector Santos <hsan...@isdg.net> wrote:

> My only comment is that we are making way too much out of this.
>
> DKIM requires a From: hashing a minimum requirement and since RFC5322
> only one there are two basic fundamentals rules, together called the
> One From DKIM Rule:
>
> One From DKIM Rule:
>
>     Verify -  DKIM must only see one From when verifying.  If multiple
>               From: headers are found, the message is automatically
> invalid
>               from a valid DKIM signature standpoint.
>
>     Signing - DKIM must only see one From when signing.  If multiple
> From:
>               headers are found, the message is automatically invalid for
>               a DKIM signature standpoint. In other words, it MUST NOT
>               continue and sign the message.

I agree with the above entirely, and have proposed such wordings many
times. But unfortunately the consensus of the WG has been to not include
such wordings.

> Dealing with Exploits:
>
> For the most part, we are dealing with injection of addition From:
> header(s) in an already signed message.   DKIM implementations
> following the One From DKIM Rule, will mitigate this problem.

No, I think my first scenario, where the attacker signs on behalf of his
throwaway domain, will turn out to be the more common attack, if we do not
fix this problem.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: c...@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.