Hi Hannes,
At 08:17 03-09-2012, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
There are more documents that exist making this statement.

Yes.

In the technical community there is no need to convince anyone that an IP address can be used to indirectly identify a person (typically through various database resolution steps).

Agreed.

The idea is also to show two different viewpoints, i.e. the technical side and the non-technical side.

As such, I don't think there is a need to cite anything here.

Ok.

Interesting. I thought that this is already fairly good.

I would rate it as good as I don't see any other way.

The typical reader of an IETF draft is certainly not an average person. In fact it is probably a good thing that they do not read them...

:-)

Well. You can hide your IP address to a certain text. What gets hidden with the IP address depends whether you use systems like Tor, VPNs, NATs, IPv4 / IPv6, etc.

See my comment to Robin Wilton.

You may not ask "Do you want to reveal your IP address? YES / NO". However, what a user may want to do is to get a software it has confidence in that it preserves a certain degree of anonymity. They may, for example, download Tor (or a similar software from other groups).

There is a somewhat related message about a question asked to a user at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Jul/0152.html Which question to ask is a question in itself.

Then, these software developers should still be given the option to provide those users who care about their privacy to set the options correctly so that they get what they want (potentially with an impact on the service quality).

That gets us into an "inevitable choice" discussion. One of general design questions is about considering performance and cost as well as functionality. If the difference in service quality is negligible, I'd say that it is a 50/50 choice. If the difference is noticeable, I'd pick the 50/50 choice too as nothing comes for free. If service quality is like degraded mode the software developer does not have to worry too much about privacy being part of the design. It has been argued that there is no such thing as a value-neutral design. Decisions, whether it is about security or anything else, injects a bias into the equation.

I don't think that we are questioning the Internet architecture as such.

For example, with onion routing you essentially have various forms of trusted intermediaries. With IPv6 and with MAC address generated interface identifiers you have a much stronger form of re-identification in IETF protocols than you had before and so it is OK to think about the privacy implications.

Ok.

That's true. The idea is that the open standardization process in the IETF leads to technologies that exercise data minimization because different stakeholder with different interests participate in the standardization activity and therefore avoid excessive and unnecessary sharing of data. This of course assumes that there is some understanding of what privacy is and what goals we may want to accomplish.

The above looks at this from a different angle. I am not disagreeing by the way. The wall is the asymmetry of power. We can go around that wall with a process where the various interests work together on finding a balance. We could also move that wall around, or rather, move the boundaries so that the problem can be less complex.

Definitely. The contextual nature makes it very difficult for certain protocols to make a clear cut. Then, there are other ways to deal with this situation - as we had been trying to do in Geopriv with user preference indications.

There has been some nice work coming out of Geopriv.

Many of the privacy laws a build on the basis that someone is able to make that decision - either it is the end user or someone on his / her behalf. Think about children. Typically, you would assume that their parents make that decision. Then, in many cases we (you and me) also use tools to outsource some of the decision making and to delegate it to people we trust. For example, if you download Ghostery or Adblocker for usage with your browser you decide to rely on specific companies to decide what to block and what not.

Privacy laws vary, i.e. it depends on the culture of the region. In some regions it is left to the individual to make the decision. In some regions society is viewed as having a responsibility in helping the individual make the decision. In some respect, it could be about delegation of trust.

That's a good point. We had been discussing this issue while working on the privacy considerations document and we said that we wouldn't mandate anything (particularly since the enforcement would only come through the community and through the IESG - not the IAB). Particularly at the early phase of our work on the privacy guidelines we weren't quite sure whether the level of privacy understanding is actually mature enough.

Agreed.

However, some time has passed and the privacy guidelines document is stable now. So, it might be interesting to hear what the community thinks.

Yes.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy