Hi Mark,
At 15:56 04-09-2012, Mark Lizar wrote:
I think it would be a mistake to blame the target audience for a lack of mature understanding of the problem. In fact, I think the audience has an incredible understanding of the problems. People can understand how much privacy practices impact them physically at the moment (immediately) and respond accordingly. Is expecting more from people too much to expect? It is the integrity of the consent mechanisms at offer, their lack of continuing context or meaningfulness that might be more worthy of responsibility.

The wording could have been improved but then it discourages lightweight discussion. I didn't read it as blaming the target audience. I'll put it another way. The target audience might not be that interested in a discussion about "informed consent" but they do have an understanding of what they would not like to see. People are expected to make a split-second decision; i.e. it should be easy for the person to make the decision.

Perhaps achieving informed consent should be looked upon as an iterative process? At the moment we have a one time policy (consent) infrastructure based on (or to facilitate) contracts of adhesion (TOS, EULA etc), in which informed consent is most often no-longer informed as soon as the service (or even the service user) evolves the use of the service. (online informed consent lacks real meaning)

 "Privacy policies usually end up as disclaimers of liability instead
  of policies aimed at protecting privacy."

A person might not remember all the details of what he/she consented to after a while. It may be easier for the person if the consent request is contextual. That doesn't mean flooding the person with questions as it turns into an automated yes (or no).

Regards,
S. Moonesamy