Hi Mark,
At 14:26 05-09-2012, Mark Lizar wrote:
Again, this expectation is not only un-realistic but grossly disproportionate to the quality and usability of privacy notices and associated policies online.

Yes.

This is a very good point. People are 'expected' to make split second decisions. This is one of many unrealistic expectations, especially considering the content, language, format, and implications of the polices, contracts and terms. Expectations are high and blatantly unrealistic, considering children, non-english speaking, non-technical, non-legal, disabled, partially literate, busy, emotional people 'need' to use these notices. In many cases it will never be easy for people to make these decisions. Frankly, it

Yes.

should be easy to change ones mind, exercise privacy rights and manage informed consent from a personally controlled technical architecture. Privacy is a public facility, it

The interesting point in the above is the ability for the person to change his/her mind by reversing the consent. That is difficult to do if it is consent about a contractual agreement instead of consent to send out an identifier.

For example, I can be tracked online and be served custom advertising, real time, yet it is still the law in all jurisdictions that (if a company requires it) I need to provide a written notice to manage my informed consent, gain access to my data, stop the use of my profile etc. These request can take weeks, even months.

http://europe-v-facebook.org/EN/Get_your_Data_/get_your_data_.html

Regards,
S. Moonesamy