From: ietf-privacy-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ietf-privacy-boun...@ietf.org] On
Behalf Of Robin Wilton
Sent: 04 September 2012 10:33
To: S Moonesamy
Cc: ietf-privacy@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] draft-moonesamy-privacy-identifiers-00

This is (again) an excellent airing of the issues, I think. One theme it
exposes is the difficulty of balancing two factors:

1 - achieving informed consent, when the target audience doesn't have a mature
understanding of the problem, or isn't motivated to act on such understanding
as they have;

2 - dealing with stakeholders who react as some did to Microsoft's "DNT by
default" decision... i.e. by saying 'if you set a privacy feature to 'on' by
default, it is not reliable because it can't be interpreted as an explicit user
choice (and hence as an indication if consent).

I like your point about design never being value-neutral... Wondering if
there's a sense in which designers can acknowledge that and say "of course not;
and these privacy-enhancing design values are legitimately preferable to those
privacy-eroding ones"...

Yrs.,
Robin

Sent from my iPod