Thanks for sharing this draft, it's an interesting read.

A couple of questions kept cropping up for me while reading it. In particular:
who is the audience for this draft and what do you intend to communicate to
them?

If the intention is to provide an exhaustive listing of identifiers in
particular, their legal status and potential privacy concerns, I think there
are a few key pieces missing. While IP address cookies (persistent or
session-based) and email address are good examples, there may be many other
mechanisms for storing identifiers (the "evercookie" is a good example at the
Web-level). I also think we should be cognizant of fingerprinting possibilities
[0] when considering the privacy implications of identifiers -- user machines
and user agents may be identifiable (with the same potential to correlate
information about an individual) not because of the presence of a particular
number transmitted by their device but because of the unique (or at least
uncommon) combination of configuration variables.

I'm also not sure the concept of privacy here is complete. I would personally
disagree with emphasizing a dichotomy between the "private realm" and the
Internet. Some theorists suggest that privacy is a societal quality rather than
individual control, or that the value is in contextual integrity rather than
just self-determination. I like the RFC 3365 reference, but would echo Hannes
in adding the IAB Privacy Considerations draft [0] as another example. I also
think the earlier draft from Morris/Davidson on Public Policy Considerations is
worth looking at, it specifically calls out the creation of new persistent
unique identifiers as a privacy risk in protocol design [1].

Finally, I suspect we could aggregate more legal questions and decisions if
providing some legal context for protocol authors or implementers is the goal.
(Offhand, I think there are some interesting positions taken by the US
Department of Justice, or distinctions in the Electronic Communications Privacy
Act, that would be relevant.) Kasey has suggested doing some of this work
within the W3C Privacy Interest Group (PING).

Thanks for prompting this interesting discussion! I'm hoping the W3C PING will
continue to engage on some of these questions regarding advice for protocol
authoring and may point them to this work.

Thanks,
Nick

[0] https://panopticlick.eff.org/
[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-privacy-considerations-03#section-4