Tim's suggestion has real merit.  It's an embodiment of what I suggested in
an earlier post - without being the inventor - that something as easy as
email and as flexible as ftp might be a really good idea - if we agree
there's a real problem.  How does one proceed with this in IETF?

To summarize much of what's been said and to wholeheartedly throw my
(crrent) bias into it:

I continue to reject the notions:
1) People who are clueless are pathetic examples of internet humanity.  At
least training should be required.
2) We need to have rules or guidelines for email.

I continue to support the ideas:
1) Users are the public now - they don't understand all the underlying
technical details.  Accept it and deal with the reality.  They will send
files that somebody (with good reason) will deem are "too big".
2) Focus on the real issues - not the things that happen at 3 sigma.  Are
download rejections and other disruptions at 1 sigma, 3 sigma, 6 sigma?
What's an acceptable rate?
3) Users and providers alike will respond to real problems - either with
larger capabilities or smaller message content.
4)  Hard drives are quite cheap.  Populations are rising rapidly.  File
sizes have reason to be going up as well.  Pipes are getting fatter.  Right
now storage spaces are limiting and pipes/access (therefore transport times)
are limiting.

So, if we need to do something, let's support at least the spirit of Tim's
idea and make something happen.  First thing on the agenda should be to
decide if we need to do something - which will include at what cost?  to
what benefit?  for how long (i.e. will the need disappear before the
solution appears)?  I'm not suggesting a flurry of emails to address these
questions right here and now.  I'm suggesting a bit more deliberate process
to deal with it.

Fred Marshall
Mission Systems, Inc.
http://fcmarshall.home.mindspring.com