Reto Lichtensteiger writes:
> You seem to have entirely missed or ignored what has been stated a
> number of times.  Just because you have more disk and fatter pipe
> doesn't mean the whole "internet community" does.  One place I spend
> a lot of time in Vermont, I'd be lucky to get 24.4 ... more likely
> to get 9.6kbits. And never mind frame relay or ISDN, the squirrel
> powering the switch can't handle the load.

While I firmly agree with the basic point of this (and have argued it
here myself), this is just a bit overstated.  I live full-time only 20
miles west of Vermont and serve an area running the length of the NY
side of the 200-mile NY-VT border; it's not quite that bad in most of
this region, although some places do come close.

Except in places with independent phone companies (NY has 35 of them),
frame relay is available anywhere in NY or VT.  ISDN is available most
places close enough to a telco CO, although in many places it's
imported "virtual" ISDN, and it's not cheap.  The many farms and about
half the suburbs of small cities and towns are too far out for ISDN.

Many of the more remote dwellings get phone service that's multiplexed
to use one wirepair to carry two phone lines.  When both lines are in
use, these lines won't support speeds higher than 16.8Kbps, but I've
yet to find anywhere that can get only 9.6Kbps.  Where people do have
private wirepairs, they often come from an old SLC-96 "slick" and have
a hard limit of 26.4Kbps, making that the most common connection
speed.  Getting more bandwidth than that is going to be a major
challenge for a lot of people

That's still only looking at people here in the US.

--
Dick St.Peters, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY