In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, gra
[EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:

 >>Let's consider a few basic principles.

ok - lots of good points below - a few responses...

 >>1.  Neither ASCII nor XML are ever displayed.  They are CODES for
 >>representing characters in a computer. It is the CHARACTERS ( glyphs ) that
 >>are displayed ( presented / rendered ). There is a mapping between the codes
 >>and the glyphs.

but the glyphs are in HARDWARE in many devices(e.g. printed on
keycaps, in printer wheels, in crt display chips etc)...

 >>2.  ASCII has a strictly limited set of characters and glyphs ( even the
 >>"international" version ), which can not represent many languages in the
 >>world, and does a poor job of rendering diagrams, pictures, etc.

yes, this point has been made a lot - however, the discipline of
getting a diagram into ascii art has OFTEN caused people in the ietf
to udnerstand the problem better (e.g. by choosing the most
parsimonious topology to explain a partiocular routing problem)

 >>3.  As some people have emphasised, the importance of ASCII lies in the (
 >>American Standard Code for Information ) INTERCHANGE.  Interchange implies
 >>the ability to transfer in a manner which can be understood by both parties
 >>to the transfer. The MOST COMMON global method of transferring will be the
 >>most effective.

yes, yes, and yes......but also, collating, indexing, and searching -
manmy of the search engines are optimised to the roman alhpabet, the
english dictionary, and the english freqeuncy distribution of
words....

 >>4.  Interchange does not guarantee understanding - either of presentation
 >>format or content.  I wouldn't like to have to deal with Einstein's Theory
 >>of Relativity ( content ), especially in Chinese ( format ).  ASCII does not
 >>interchange Chinese characters, so it's presentation format is NOT readily
 >>understandable by "most people".
 >>
 >>5.  A more comprehensive coding scheme, such as the Universal Character Set
 >>( ISO 10646 ) would allow many more characters and glyphs to be used.
 >>
 >>6.  The key to usage of encoding schemes is how widely they can be
 >>interpreted by character presentation ( or rendering ) applications ( word
 >>processors, etc. ), in mapping the internal codes to the glyphs rendered on
 >>the screen or on paper.  Applications which can render more characters would
 >>allow the use of larger code ranges and more characters.
 >>
 >>Until something replaces ASCII as the most commonly available global
 >>interchange format ( and could it be HTML / XML ? ), it will remain the
 >>default.  That doesn't mean that we should just accept it for evermore.  If
 >>that principle were followed, we would still be drawing on cave walls and
 >>large red rock formations ( Ayres in Australia ! ), which are not very
 >>transportable !
 >>
 >>One of the things that the IETF could, and in my opinion SHOULD, do it to
 >>make its documents available in several presentation formats, not to say
 >>languages.  Yes, we would still need a master copy and format, which could
 >>be ASCII, but other, more presentable formats, would make life easier for
 >>many people.  The ITU-T ( I'm sorry to mention it, but they have been doing
 >>this for decades ) publishes its documents in three languages. If the IETF
 >>is really working for the world, it should take a more global view and
 >>consider a similar sort of policy. Don't we have a work stream on
 >>internationalisation ?
 >>
 >>Of course, this sort of effort costs money - lots of it.  That's why the
 >>ITU-T charges for documents.  If you want it free, you take the IETF
 >>approach and get the inexpensive, ASCII, American language version.

thats why the ITU claims it charges. i think you overstate the
contrast. btw, as someone who has written documents in english english
for 20 years using ascii codes, i dont see your point about American
_language_ - coding for alhpabet doesnt necessarily code for language
(ever used greeklish?:-)

anyhow, the point about cost is good - basically, do people want to
think about a funding model for multi-lingual internet standards...?
worth a brief discussion (there are alternates to the ITU charging
model, clearly)

j.