To the point on the percentage of students who would want to pursue computer
science as a career - yes this will be a relatively small percentage. So we
should keep programming subjects optional. I think in the earlier classes
doing creative stuff with a computer like drawing or painting as well as
using the computer as a information tool should be demonstrated.

To the point on programming languages - I tend to agree with Ashik -
programming should be optional and taught to the students who are interested
in it. The main objection I have with BASIC is that it tends to encourage
poor programming practices IMO. But BASIC and LOGO are not the only options
a lot of kid focussed programming languages have emerged - (
http://www.linux.com/feature/155203)I think I put a link to a visual
programming language called scratch on the wiki home page - it lets kids
create animations and games and other fun stuff and share it with each other
(http://info.scratch.mit.edu/About_Scratch). There is a Debian version of it
here - http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Linux_installer. Scratch is developed by
MIT. Check out this guys review - http://www.openscience.org/blog/?p=211
I second Alice (http://www.alice.org/index.php) as an option - it
has Linux option and is AFAICT from the license (
http://www.alice.org/index.php?page=license) - free. Alice is developed by
Carnegie Mellon University

Python - is certainly something that should be introduced at a later stage,
but that being said I think it should be OK for STD 8 and up for geek
students :-) By this time the interested ones would already be obvious from
the inordinate time they spend in front of the computer ;-)  Another option
to Python is Ruby - which has a beginner friendly bundle called Shoes (
http://shoooes.net/) that you can use.

- Nikhil

PS - Updated the Wiki with these links and created a page called programming
language discussions - please put all the various options with a link to
download them on the page so we can download and try them out....
.