Reply Inline:

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Jikku Jose <jikkuj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I never understood this *usual freaking statement* "Google is soon turning
> another monopolistic mega corporate".

Jikku, please mind your words. This is a public forum. If you use such
words, I can react in the same fashion. That would make things complex.
(Check the meaning of the word
freaking<http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=freaking>
.)

> And unlike anything ever in the business it is giving us choice, also no
> body is forcing anyone to choose their service.

I agree that they are giving a choice. Together with it, they are also
narrowing down the choices by their business model. Rest, you guess.

> And it is perfectly possible to live without their services too.

That is the same argument, I made. Men can live without any technology.

> Then why are there so many worries and how can they be monopolistic.

When a company is big enough to effectively control the web, can't it be
called monopolist? I have a disclaimer to make here. I am not a google hater
and I use many of their services. But the business method they follow is to
swallow great ideas. Blogger (blogspot), Youtube and Feedburner are the most
evident examples of this style.

> About your email conversations being analyzed, it is no "*belief*" they
> have openly mentioned it at the time of launch of the service about their
> technology in 2004.

Hmm. true.

> Coincidentally I read a comment in
> PCWorld.com<http://forums.pcworld.com/message/43016#43015>about such fears
> like "Google is too big":
>
>> **
>

> *(...continued) so far they are not forcing u to use anything that they
>> offer.. they are the best in market but u can as well go with all the other
>> search engines... yahoo also has my yahoo page.. You guys want the best and
>> will cry even when you get the best!!!!*

This is not always true.Google Reader may be a widely used RSS reader. But
certainly, that is not the best. Orkut may be popular in India and Brazil.
But can it be matched to FB and Myspace? Wordpress is far more superior than
Blogger in beta. Google talk is inferior to Yahoo IM client.

> About looting using AdSense:
>>
> How can advertising be classified as looting???? They are giving
> information about products for interested people to buy, and they are
> getting a share in the profit. How can this ever be looting ????

In terms of what we study, it is ethical business. But in the terms of macro
economics, something in the scale of looting is taking place. As an example,
consider the Advani for PM campaign during the loksabha polls. It made a
major part of BJP's election spending. And whom do you think, reaped the
profit? On a side note, we must also consider the fact that, it was
the election
spending, which was beyond Rs 40,000 crore, that cushioned the Indian
economy from the global financial crisis together with some pro-people
measures like the NREGA scheme. And this amount does not include BJP's web
advt as the money was not circulated in India.

> Restriction on filming helped Iran to make the most political films !!
>>
> Shouldn't films be made depending on user choice/demand or what director
> wants to make?? Rather than someone dictating that this good and something
> else is okay ? And what good can these "political movies" have to a person
> who dislikes it

I didn't dictate. I just made an analogy here. Restrictions helped Iranian
film makers to come out with anti establishment films that could convey
messages in between the frames. The effective way of conveying a message is
through deceptions. The art of deception was well mastered by Iranian film
makers. If you don't like it, its okay.

> And I think communication shouldn't be have to be made possible using
> 'circumventing tools'. It should be openly usable, so that a lay man can use
> it.

I agree to it. But you must also have the eye to see the amended cyber law
of India. We are the so called democratic republic and still our government
wants to be the Orwellian big brother.

Thanks and regards,
Sebin

--
Understanding is a three-edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth