2010/5/12 Harish CM <cmha...@gmail.com>:
> Look at it this way - as a sysadmin I would not want removable media (floppy
> cd/dvd pen drives etc to enter (for fear of contamination of my network) or
> taken away (information security) so much so such devices are disabled - and
> that is precisely where the problem lies. Most of us are worried about one's
> own machine and one is free to do whatever as long as it is standalone. Come
> networking, the scenario changes drastically. DOS/Windows came into being in
> the standalone mode and is good and functional in that environ.

Harish,

As a sysadmin, you are supposed to know all these. But a normal user
need know about ntfs systems or fstab to get their friends external
drive to work.

> Also, knowing more is, as far as I am concerned, better than knowing nothing
> - it does it all for you- attitude is good enough as long as it works; when
> it fails one does not know what is to be done - and that is bad

Yes, that is the problem here. We need a mechanism to fix things when
things break. It could be training or external support.
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)